Not sure which service you need? Reach out to us and ask for help! Fill out our form or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Free consults for the first 1,000 words are offered for anything above 10,000 words.
- All consults will be charged a minimum of $60/service; all sensitivity reads are charged a $90 minimum.
- Booking reservations for more than 2 weeks in advance will require a nonrefundable booking fee of $50 or half of the full price of the edit, whichever is less. **waived during Coronavirus**
- All edits will take a minimum of 3 weeks.
- Rush edits are available on a case-by-case basis for an additional fee. (There is a 10 day minimum for rush edits under 100k words.)
- Invoices are sent through Stripe; PayPal is also available.
- We offer payment plans, just ask!
- Please send all of your documents in .docx or Google Docs, 12 pt Times New Roman, 1” margins.
- If your piece is longer than 130,000 words, it will be split into two separate bookings to facilitate editorial turnaround.
Because of the high amount of emotional labor required for a sensitivity read, all sensitivity reads are charged a minimum of $90 regardless of length.
- From $0.009c (or $90 per 10,000 words). This is for a single pass and one round of follow-up questions.
- There will be an additional charge for extra tutoring outside of the initial consultation.
- Purchase a sensitivity read when you’re writing outside of your expertise or lived experience. This service is available for outlines and finished manuscripts.
- This is a highly customizable edit where the client can specify exactly the sort of feedback they need from a specific reader.
Sensitivity consults are also available for outlines and story ideas.
Editorial Sensitivity Read (Deep dev + Sensitivity read): the minimum charge for this edit is $330.
Please note that this assumes a deep developmental edit + sensitivity read. If you would like to book a light developmental edit + sensitivity read, the base cost is $210; for a reader report + sensitivity read, the base cost is $150. This will change what you receive on the dev side; see our dev edit section for more details.
- From $0.033c (or $330 per 10,000 words). This is for a single pass of a deep dev edit* + sensitivity read and one round of follow-up questions.
- There will be an additional charge for extra tutoring outside of the initial consultation.
- Purchase an editorial sensitivity read when you want to have a highly qualified editor read for story and sensitivity.
- This is also a highly customizable edit where the client can specify exactly the sort of feedback they need from a specific reader.
- Availability of editorial sensitivity reads depends on the editor selected. Please reach out via consult for more information about your specific editor.
*If you would like to combine it with a different edit (say, a line edit or a light developmental edit), please reach out to us for a specific quote.
If these prices are out of your current budget, please remember that we do offer payment plans. You can also check out our Incomplete Guides for a starter guide to writing inclusively! (More books are in the works!)
- Query edit
- Have a querying expert go over your query three times until it’s perfect! $100 flat fee.
- First chapter edit
- Before you send your query out, make sure that your first chapter is extra shiny.
- Can be a developmental edit, a line edit, or a proofread; please indicate which you would prefer.
- From $100 up to 4,000 words.
- Blurb edit
- If you’re self-publishing, you know one of the most important things you can do for your book is to have a well-written and engaging blurb. Get a set of professional eyes on it! We’ll go back and forth three times until your blurb is the shiniest on the block.
- $100 flat fee.
Developmental edits are the first step in any publishing endeavor. Make sure your piece works as hard as you do!
We have a sliding scale of depth available here so you can get the feedback you need at the price that works for you.
- Reader Report
- From $0.006c (or $60 per 10,000 words).
- This edit is perfect for writers who want to know what works and what needs work.
- Author gets back an editor’s letter.
- This is a super affordable pass from a qualified editor. If your writing is an ocean, this is a glass-bottomed boat.
- Light Developmental edit
- From $0.012c (or $120 per 10,000 words).
- This highly customizable edit focuses on five essential keys of storytelling and writing (world building, plot holes, pacing, character arcs, and emotional authenticity & resonance).
- Author gets back some in-text comments plus an editor’s letter.
- A more affordable edit to help you level up your writing. If your writing is an ocean, this is snorkeling.
- Deep Developmental edit
- From $0.024c (or $240 per 10,000 words).
- This deep edit is a deep dive into your manuscript. We focus on eight critical areas that will make your storytelling and writing glow like a bioluminescent squid of glory.
- Author gets back many in-text comments plus a detailed editor’s letter.
- This is like a deep sea dive into improving your writing. If your writing is an ocean, this is the scuba dive.
- Deluxe Developmental edit
- From $0.048c (or $480 per 10,000 words).
- This deluxe developmental edit is the most intense edit we offer. We pair you with one of our most experienced, highest-level editors. We focus on the eight critical areas, but go deeper than even the deep developmental edit.
- This is great for authors who want to have more of a 1:1 relationship with their editor for a single project. (For long-term or ongoing relationships, ask us about book coaches!)
- You get back deep in-text comments plus an extremely detailed editor’s letter; you then also choose 3 options from several follow-up options in an à la carte manner (i.e. you can choose 3 video calls if you like, or 1 of each):
- 30-minute video chat
- Follow-up passes of sections (up to 10,000 words per)
- Clarifying questions in an email format
- This also includes one 30-minute “emergency” video chat–if you have urgent questions, your editor is available for them!
- If your writing is an ocean, this is the Trieste’s headlights illuminating Challenger Deep.
- Limited slots available; please book in advance.
We use the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Line editing
- From $0.008c/word (or $80 per 10,000 words)
- For when you’re confident in your novel’s plot and structure, and are ready to make it flow.
- Word choice and usage, repetition, sentence flow, paragraph/sentence length, some fact checking*, etc.
- *For in-depth fact checking, see our Sensitivity and Expert Readers.
- If you’re looking to smooth out your prose or tighten your word count, you want a line edit.
- From $0.007c/word (or $70 per 10,000 words)
- Get a proofread when you’re happy with your novel’s structure and flow. One of the last steps before publication.
- An edit of punctuation, spelling, capitalization, verb tenses, and grammar.
- If you’re looking to clean up your already-shiny words with some just-right grammar, you want a proofread.
- Please note that this is not the same as a line edit.
If you would like to combine your line edit and proofread, please make a note in your consultation request.
We recommend that you hire sensitivity readers for your visual projects at the pencil stage.
Illustrations are charged at $15/page with a minimum fee of $150. This includes a detailed editor’s letter.
Video game play-throughs are charged an hourly rate of $100 with a minimum fee of $100 that increases in 10-minute increments. This includes a post-viewing editor’s letter.
For an individualized quote, please contact email@example.com for your video game projects.
All editor’s letters addresses visuals, dialogue, and explain historical/situational context. Individualizations available upon request.
- From $0.003c/word (or $30 per 10,000 words)
- A great final step in any publishing endeavor to make sure that your piece is meeting your audience’s genre expectations.
- Client will receive a beta reader’s letter with general impressions and feedback on genre accuracy.
- Developmental edit: $90 flat up to 1,000 words, then billed at an additional $.012c/word ($12 per 1,000 words)
- Line edit: $80 flat up to 1,000 words, then billed at an additional $.008c/word ($8 per 1,000 words)
- Proofreading: $70 flat up to 2,500 words, then billed at an additional $.007c/word ($7 per 1,000 words)
- Beta reading: $50 flat per reader requested
These services are listed in the order they would be the most helpful for a beginner self-pub author.
- Write to Market Category Analysis
- $50 per analysis
- Before you sit down to write that self-pub novel, make sure there’s a market for it!
- Have too many ideas? Tell us about them and we can help you choose one that is most likely to sell given current trends.
- Have too few ideas? Tell us what genres and tropes you love and we’ll provide an analysis of several categories that are hungry for your work.
- Just want to make sure your book will sell? Tell us about it and we’ll find you the right categories to put it in.
- Note: this is a similar service to the category analysis but geared towards the beginning of writing a self-pub book.
- Ebook formatting
- Flat rate of $50, formatted with Vellum.
- +$20 for paperback formatting
- You’re finished with your book and all of its edits! Congratulations. Let’s get that beauty formatted for Amazon.
- Category analysis for self publishing
- $50 per book analysis
- Have you ever wondered where to categorize your book on Amazon? Where you put it matters more than you might think.
- We’ll give you up to 5 categories of where you can move your book to help it rank with the algorithms and achieve a higher ABSR.
- Book Promotion Services
- We have partnered with Eschler Editing to provide book promotion services; use coupon code SALTSAGE100 for a discount!
All edits include half-hour and hour-long TV, and feature film lengths.
Work with the incredibly talented Al Ross to get your screenwriting red-carpet ready!
- $3.50/page ($35 / 10 pages)
- $6.50/page ($65 / 10 pages)
- $12/page ($120 / 10 pages)
Pitch Pack Edit: Flat rate $250
- Book Coach
- Love one of our editors? Hire them to be your Book Coach! This all-inclusive package includes four edits of your choice with 2 hours of conversation with the editor. Let us take you from first draft to finished product!
- Flat rate of $1,750 for books under 80k. Books over 80k are a flat rate of $2,000. Books from 100-150k are a flat rate of $2,250. Books above 150k are a flat rate of $2,500. Books above 200k are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Ultimate Book Coach
- Do you have an idea, but need help writing your book? Request an Ultimate Book Coach experience today! We’ll help you take your book from idea to finished product.
- Self-Publishing Ultimate Book Coaches will help with creation and revision of a manuscript, including a developmental and proofreading edit, help with your blurb, categories, and running 2 weeks of Amazon Ads. We’ll refer you to our favorite cover artists, too, and help you get a cover that is perfect for you.
- Traditional Publishing Ultimate Book Coaches will help with the creation and revision of a manuscript, including a developmental and proofreading edit, help with your query, and finding agents who are looking for manuscripts like yours.
- Check out Mandy Ballard for additional story coaching.
- Prices start at $5,000.
- Hire a Sage, aka Give Me External Motivation, Jim
- Need some help staying on track? Hire your favorite editor to check in on you!
- À la carte options, each price per month:
- $25: Initial intake and goal setting (30 min phone or video call; introvert accommodations available)
- $25: Daily text, Facebook messenger, or email check-ins
- $25: 1 hour weekly of availability for writing questions, brainstorming, or other writing concerns
- $25: monthly check-in (30 min phone or video call; introvert accommodations available–we see you, people who don’t like talking to people!)
- $5/chapter: “Encourage Me” : Author will share chapters with the editor via Google Docs (up to 3,500 words). Editor will give encouraging feedback within a week of sharing. Note: editor will provide some suggestions, but this is primarily a cheerleading position. See below if you need dev help.
- $50/chapter: “Dev Edit This Plz” : Author will share difficult chapters (up to 3,500 words) via Google Docs. Editor will help them identify how to fix the troublesome chapter within a week of sharing.
- $300: “Hire a critique group” : Author will choose two editors and share their manuscript via google docs, read, and encourage along the way. At the specified date, two editors and the author will have a critique group through Google Meet. The editors will spend 2 hours with the author going over everything that’s been posted.
- Need something else? Ask and ye shall probably receive!
- Have you found your One True Editor? Want to hire them to do a series of books? Send us a message and we can design a custom package for you. (Hobbit holes not included.)
- Please note that proofreading will always be done by a different editor than your developmental/line editing editor. This is to ensure fresh eyes on the final copy! But don’t worry, we won’t give you any foolish Tooks.
- We also offer support for graphic novels, comics, RPGs, TTRPGs, and cook books!
- We work with all sorts of nonfiction projects, including essays (high school, college, admissions, etc.), Works Cited pages and MLA citations, contracts, professional letters, procurements, quotes, technical editing, science fact-checking, field guides, etc.
If it has words, we probably have someone who can help. Ask! We don’t bite.