Melanie is a communications designer, born and raised on ancestral and unceded Coast Salish territory. She has a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature and loves to dissect what works (and doesn’t work) in stories of all kinds, from ad copy to fantasy novels to Lifetime movies.
She is particularly interested in reading for issues related to ethnicity, identity, cultural memory, and how we relate to one another in this ever-changing world.
In her spare time she is always creating new recipes in the kitchen and thinking of ways to turn them into cookbooks. She splits her time between Vancouver and Los Angeles.
Sensitivity / Expert
- Chinese diaspora culture
- 2nd generational identity issues
- Immigrant parents from British colony
- Postcolonial ethnic relations
- Catholicism and Catholic school
- Interracial relationships
- Anxiety and depression
- Chronic illness (skin-related issues)
- PTSD from chronic illness
- Food history and culture
- Art and design
- Cultural anthropology
Fantasy "Soft" Science Fiction Contemporary or Historical Fiction Romance