Sachiko is a Japanese-American with an insatiable appetite for good story. She understands character motivation on a deep level and can help you dig deeper into your character than you thought possible. Best of all, she’ll do it with her trademark enthusiasm and deep-heart kindness. Plus, if you need someone to spread punfetti through your manuscript, Sachiko has a party cannon for that.
Whether your story has character problems or plot holes, Sachiko always finds the right questions to ask to guide you to a better story. She particularly loves world building and character motivations.
Sachiko has yet to meet a genre she didn’t like, but she will absolutely make you katsu if your story has megafauna.
If she’s not reading or writing, Sachiko is probably fostering kittens and forgetting to give them away, working magic over the grill, or practicing yoga to connect to the divine feminine.
A masterful punster, don’t be shocked if your line edits contain some funny treats.
Her favorite books are DUNE by Frank Herbert and TO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG by Connie Willis.
Sachiko’s sensitivity reader work currently only includes editorial sensitivity reads.
Sensitivity / Expert
- Japanese-American characters, history, and issues, including hafu/quafu life
- White-presenting mixed-race; minority culture
- Large family life, homeschooling
- Traumatic childbirth, child loss, and grief
- Christianity, Puritanism, and religious sensitivity; post-Mormon concerns
- Trauma, sexual abuse/assault, PTSD, self-harm and suicidal ideation
- Recovery life and therapy
- Military life (specifically USAF)
- Body positivity, fatphobia, and fat activism
- Eating disorders
- Special needs children, specifically: failure-to-thrive, genetic issues, and early intervention
- Abusive relationships
- Mental inpatient care
What Clients Say
I hired Salt & Sage for a sensitivity read on my current manuscript. The entire process from initial contact to receiving feedback was great. The feedback was very helpful, both with specific details and also referring me to other resources for additional research. I would highly recommend Salt & Sage to all my writing friends. Thank you for such a wonderful experience!
I came to Salt & Sage looking for a very specific assist with a screenwriting project involving my Japanese heritage and culture and was just stunned by how helpful Sachiko was.